Madison and Cooper

Madison and Cooper

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Is it luck?

I have lots of friends that are stay at home Moms and lots of friends that are working Moms. Some of my friends that are working Moms work because they want to or have to for various reasons. The ones that drive me crazy are the ones that tell me relentlessly that I am so LUCKY that I get to stay home with my kids and they WISH they could. I don't think I would call it luck so much as I would call it hard work and sacrifice. Ryan works hard for Frontier and then has a side business that he does when the kids go to bed. Here is the site www.bluedogjeep.com.

Credit cards? Don't have any. Nope not one. The only "credit" card I have is a debit card. We live on a budget. We have envelopes that get filled with cash once a month (groceries, gifts, clothes, Target- I love this store!, etc.). If those envelopes are empty then no shopping. I don't drive a new car. We recently bought a new to us mini van which we saved tax money and bonus money to buy. Nope no fancy car payment for us! I don't wear fancy clothes and neither do my children. Do I love gymboree and Janie and Jack? Sure do! But my kids wear Children's Place and Penneys. I buy Penneys for myself as well. You can get great coupons for there. I have a nice house but it isn't a $300,000+ house like a lot of my friends have. When the kids out grow their clothes I take them to the consignment shop to help supplement the clothes fund. When the kids out grow their toys I put them on Craigslist to help supplement the gift fund.

So I ask you my friends is it luck or sacrifice?? I am going with hard work and sacrifice! And yes I am lucky because I married a great guy, so there!!

3 comments:

Courtney said...

I agree with you 100%. "Exactly what do you do all day?" is the other comment I loathe.

Jon works hard, too. We decided together that I would stay home when we had kids. My Mom was a SAHM, and so was my Grandmother - and I knew I wanted to stay home. And while it might be easier (money-wise), if I had a job, it really wouldn't be. We would be paying for daycare for three kids, lots of extra gas and car maintenance, work-appropriate clothing for me, all kinds of stuff. It wouldn't be worth it.

Now that I have that written, you know what I hate more than the stupid comments people make? The fact that I feel like I have to defend my decision to stay home.

Anonymous said...

Defintely not luck unless you are rich. lol. I am SO not rich. I found that there are some who really can't afford to stay home and have to have both working full-time to make it, others who do it b/c one of them makes less and could stay home, but has the best health insurance, and others that just don't want to give up their lifestyle.

I gave up my lifestyle. I gave up eating out every night, shopping when I felt like it, and no longer switch my cars like underwear.

I stay home, but to help make the bills and have extras, I babysit, tutor, and work online, as my hubby teaches and coaches.

So to answer your question, I would say it isn't luck it is hard work, dedication, and sacrifices.

Liz said...

Well ladies, you get where I am coming from! And yes the other favorite is "what do you do all day?" I eat bon bons and watch tv!! Or my other favorite is that I am wasting my education by staying home! Why do we have to defend ourselves anyways?

hit
Click for hit counter code.

Background

Followers

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed